Indonesia is renowned for its long coastline, virgin beaches, rivers, lakes, mountains, volcanoes, wildlife, plantation, ancient monuments, extraordinary architecture, cultural diversity and history. Owing to this natural blend, this place is extensively rich and unique for artistic products, eatables and diversified drinks, which attract worldwide travelers.
What to Eat?
Indonesia is home to variety of cuisines, owing to the 17,000 islands and their diverse cultures. Technically, the food from eastern and central parts of Java is more popular and it is now also available throughout the country. Most of the travelers fall into the rut of eating ‘nasi goring’, which is similar to fried rice, but there are much more delicious tastes available, which could be spotted seasonally. The food has predominant flavors of sugar, chilies and peanuts. In Sundanese (West Java), the food contains herbs and fresh vegetables that are eaten raw, while Sumatra food is a bit spicy. Both Hindus and Christians are great fans of pork, and some of them also eat bat and dog. Papua is famous for taro and sago food.
Here is the list of popular dishes at Indonesia-
- Grilled chicken (ayam bakar)
- Fried chicken (ayam goreng)
- Chinese stir fried vegetables (cap cay)
- Peanut sauce and blanched vegetables (gado-gado)
- Jack fruit stew (gudeg)
- Grilled fish (ikan bakar)
- Finely chopped raw vegetables (karedok)
- Fried potato and vegetables or meat (perkedel)
- Grilled and lamb chicken (satay)
- Chinese stew claypot (sapo)
Places to eat-
- Kaki lima - offers bamboo mats to sit and chat
- Warung - sheltered stall
- Rumah makan - simple restaurant
- Nasi Padang restaurant
- EsTeler 77
- Hoka Hoka Bento - Japanese Fare
- Restoran - western style eating
Specialty of Indonesian Drink:
Indonesians are fond of cold drinks, fruit juices, alcohol, coffee and bottled tea. Bottled water is known as Aqua, in Indonesia and most of the hotels provide it as free drinking water, since the tap water might not be hygienic. Famous and common drinks are available readily throughout the country.
Here is the list of famous drinks that Indonesia offer-
- Jus alpokat - poured chocolate syrup avocadoes
- Jasmine tea - one of the famous drinks
- Kopi tubruk - authentic cup of coffee
- Jamu - local drink medicinal for a variety of diseases
- Bintang - popular alcohol
- Bali hai - popular beer
- Anker - popular beer
- Tuak - palm sugar wine
- Arak - distilled palm sugar wine
- Brem - glutinous sweet rice wine
List of Traditional Indonesian Drinks-
- Wedang Serbat
- Talua Tea/Teh Telur (West Sumatra)
- Lidah Buaya Ice (West Kalimantan)
Fun filled Indonesian Shopping:
Indonesia offers many beautiful objects and local stores to shop conceivable items. One could get variety of clothes, souvenirs, wood carvings, batik, artistic items and crafts. These items can be purchased through the street vendors or from the markets, which are organized frequently. Bali is famous for handicraft, sandstone carvings and bamboo furniture. Mas or Ubud is the best place to purchase exclusive wood carvings. Mataram village is famous for beautiful pottery. Yogyakarta is the best place to shop in Java, where one could get remarkable artistic objects. Jakarta offers amazingly cheap leather accessories, bags, Monte Blanc pens and other items.